An ideal mountain vacation spot any time of year.Sun Valley, Idaho is known as one of the birthplaces of recreational skiing in North America.
Originally conceived as a winter vacation destination that could be easily accessed by train in the 1930s, Sun Valley has become a premier mountain ski resort with the charm and class of a world-renowned vacation destination. Located adjacent to the town of Ketchum, Idaho, Sun Valley and the surrounding area provide visitors with exceptional winter ski vacations and summer leisure vacations. From skiing and snowboarding in winter to fly fishing, hiking and mountain biking in summer, Sun Valley has everything for an idyllic mountain vacation.
Ski Sun Valley.The Sun Valley Ski Resort was modeled after the luxury European ski resorts of the 30’s and added a down-home, friendly atmosphere one can only truly find in Idaho. With bright, sunny days, comfortable temperatures, stunning scenery and well-groomed runs, Sun Valley Ski Resorts attract skiers the world over. Sun Valley offers more than 70 runs and a 3,400-foot vertical drop affording ski enthusiasts a great combination of beginner, intermediate and advanced runs including:
- River Run.This part of the Sun Valley ski area consists of a range of slopes for all abilities from the gentle runs of Olympic Ridge and Olympic Range to advanced Rock Garden or Upper Holiday runs with challenging moguls.
- Seattle Ridge.This is a slow-skiing area of Sun Valley featuring well-groomed gentle runs.
- The Bowls.Located along the top of the mountain, the bowls also range in difficulty from the easiest bowl of Broadway Face to the most difficult Little Easter Bowl.
- Warm Springs.This ski area features warm, bubbling water at the base area (hence the name) and is filled with more difficult runs perfect for intermediate skiers honing their skills.
- Half Pipe.Measured at 18 feet high, 40 feet wide and 425 feet long, this half-pipe is a ski and snowboard paradise.
- DollarMountain.Dollar Mountain has been deemed the “finest teaching mountain in the world,” as it features 10 runs, more than 200 experienced ski instructors and treeless terrain. It’s a perfect place for friends or those on family ski trips with newcomers in the group.
Summer in Sun Valley.Summer in Sun Valley is a magical time. The lovely Wood River Valley explodes with lush forest greenery and gently sloping straw-colored meadows. The snow-fed streams and Salmon River glisten in the summer’s sun. This paradise offers a huge variety of outdoor sports activities.
A Sun Valley vacation offers something for everyone like:
Biking.Over thirty miles of trails crisscross this alpine valley. Sun Valley offers leisurely or challenging rides for cyclists and mountain bikers alike.
Paragliding.Soar over this lovely valley in between snow-capped peaks. Whether you go solo or in tandem, paragliding is a unique way to see this idyllic spot.
Golf.Play the Bobby Jones-designed Sun Valley golf course, one of the top 100 golf courses in the United States. This scenic eighteen-hole course offers a driving range, club rental and golf lessons.
Whitewater rafting.The Upper Salmon River challenges visitors amid beautiful surrounding. Idaho is “the Whitewater State,” and Sun Valley offers exciting half-day or full-day trips for visitors of all skill levels.
Horseback riding.From two-hours to overnight, ride alongside towering evergreens through abandoned mining towns and through meadows filled with wildflowers.
Fly fishing.World-class angling awaits in the waters of the Wood River Valley. Beginners and experienced fishermen alike will delight in the plentiful rainbow and brown trout here.
Taking off from the airport.Hot air ballooning is a unique way to view this alpine valley and perfectly capped off the with a gourmet picnic. “Flightseeing” takes guests around the snow-capped peaks of the picturesque Sawtooth Mountains.
Mountain climbing.Hike the trails to the top of the majestic Bald Mountain or repel against the craggy faces of the Sawtooth Mountains.
Sun Valleylodging.Those looking to spend a summer vacation or a winter ski vacation in Sun Valley can pick from a range of lodging options including hotels, condominiums, townhouses and homes – many offering ski-in accommodations. Additionally, the Sun Valley is an ideal and affordable family winter ski vacation destination because the resort offers plenty of ski packages and specials that includelodging, airfare, lift tickets, transfers and additional activities.